Thursday, November 1, 2012

Assignment 2: FanFic



The Journey Back – The Wizard of Earthsea
                                                                                             
The plains on the horizon tumble effortlessly as I inhale the morning breeze with a hint of dew still in the air. So far have I come since the days at magic school on Roke. I often think of Ged and our time spent in mischief together, our coming of age battling the shadow monster.

“Dad!! Can I have some more tea please?” wailed Ginny most mornings.

In the summer she will be off to magic school, despite her mothers hesitation. She is a wild girl, but knows the dangers of magic and is learning about the balance of power.

“Dad when is Uncle Ged arriving?”

Anika had us all up early this morning to today the house and ourselves in the most anticipated visit of the year, Ged. Whoever knows Ged loves him, he is witty, charming and powerful. The children and my wife adore him and always try trick him to stay longer than he anticipated. This trip I fear will be different, he sent note only days ago that he needs to see me and made no mention staying.


*          *          *

“Ginny, Dave! Why how big you have both gotten!” Bellowed Ged as he neared toward the house and the kids jumped all over him.

“Anika, just as gorgeous as ever, a fine job you are doing here! Hope Vetch over here isn’t giving you any grief” He winked.

Anika is beautiful; we meet just after I returned to Roke after, defeating the shadow monster with Ged and knew I would never forget her, so could never let her. She is without magic but does so many things one must think she has some magic.

“ello’ me ole mate” Ged said before embracing me in a tight hug, which revealed his frame as thinner than normal. There was also something troubling behind his eyes but I would have to wait until all were in bed to find out.

“Sparrowhawk” I respond as the embrace finishes, the name he went by before he discovered his true name.

We all sat around the dining table and fireplace exchanging stories and laughter until well after dusk had settled. After Anika put the children to bed, Ged took me outside to tell me why he was really here.

*          *          *

I awoke to the soft, warm light of the fire Anika had built and looked upon the man who sat beside me, the dancing flames reflected in his unsettled dark eyes, and hope the next time he comes, it Is to come home. Here, in the man beside me lay the troubles of towns of people, the death of Ogion the Silent, Ged’s first teacher a very powerful magician who guided him in the right path, and the kidnapping of Tenar, his love and Priestess of the Tombs of Atuan. Jasper, was our rival at school and now has taken control of Roke and is holding the Archmage hostage with Tenar and building armies, sweeping towns taking young children with magic, teaching them the darkness of it all to summon shadow monsters.

I knew from the hurried note and visit and from the wilted Ged that showed up yesterday afternoon, that I would not be home tomorrow. Ged and I must leave as early as possible and begin our journey to the Great Port of Gont, where Ogion lived and find his apprentice, to gather more information and hopefully recruit him in our quest to Roke to conquer Jasper along with the shadow monsters, and rescue his prisoners.

I shut my eyes and think of how this is almost dejavu, a quest again to where we first met and the place of our first battle quest. It was here just days ago I had a warmth in my heart that this was the end to my journey, that after all these years of searching, of conquering, of spells and runes and greatness, here, here, I was finally home. But I can’t stay I must leave with Ged, Ginny is off to magic school in Roke soon, I must make it a safe place for her to grow up and learn the ways of magic and to keep Anika and Dave safe here, by ensuring Jasper and his armies don’t raid our village. Ged needs me also, I can see it in his eyes, Tenar is in danger and he can’t live with himself and I fear I don’t know how much longer he will last until he implodes, yes, he needs me to go.

*          *          *

I rustle Ged awake at the break of dawn as I couldn’t sleep and wanted to leave without rousing the kids or Anika, for me leaving without goodbyes would be the only way I could leave, and I have to for Ged. In stupor we pack our bags, fill our canteens and pack a light breakfast.

Stepping outside I inhale the morning air, it is heavy and hard to breath. Closing my eyes I take the first step of my journey…


“Vetch” it is Anika, she looks at me and I know in her eyes that she knows what I am off to do and she understands.

She continues.

"When we first met on Roke, I saw in your eyes what you thought of me, plain as day. Then and there I knew I wanted to see what I saw in that moment everyday, so come home to me Vetch. Bring him back to me Ged”.

With one last look, which felt like it lasted for hours, Ged and I turned away and crossed the plains towards the horizon and beyond.
Two companions who shared too few, too-brief moments all but alone at the edge of the world.

_________________________________________________________________________________
Commentary- Part 2

For my fan fiction I decided on depicting the fantasy realm of Earthsea from the view of Vetch in the near future. According to Vogler (1998; 1992), all great filmic narratives share a similar deep structure and can me organized into Act1, Act2 and Act 3. My piece of fanfic deals with the first Act, setting the scene and developing the conflict for the rest of the acts which should take up about 15% of a story. I only focused on Act1 as firstly it is just a short poece, but also Vetch is the best friend, the fun guy but never showed his inner turmoil or his desires in the book/film.


1.    Heroes are introduces in the ORDINARY WORLD, where
- Vetch is introduced in his quiet day-to-day family life
2. They receive the CALL TO ADVENTURE.
- Ged arrives and needs Vetch’s assistance to save his lover and the people from the evil Jasper
3. They are RELUCTANT at first or REFUSE THE CALL, but
- Vetch does not want to go but knows he must as Ged needs him and to keep his family from danger as his daughter is off to the school of Roke in the summer
4. are encouraged by a MENTOR to
- Anika see’s Ged leaving and accepts he must go and lets him go
5. CROSS THE FIRST THRESHOLD and enter the Special World,
- They leave the valley and start on their journey to the Port.


My fan fiction I believe does fit into Vogler’s general idea of character archetypes and mythic structures. According to Vogler (1998) there are 7 character archetypes; the Hero, the Mentor, the Threshold Guardian, the Herald, the Shapeshifter, the Shadow, and the Trickster. To Vogler (1998) they arepsychological realities and functions”.

In my fanfic Vetch is the Hero archetype although he is an unwilling hero, he will serve and sacrifice his comfortable life to help his friend and provokes sympathy from his audience by having to leave his family behind. As this fanfic is just based on Act1 I am sure if I wrote the next act Vetch will grow as the hero archetype by searching for a greater identify, overcoming obstacles and will have to act to a great degree to defeat jasper. The mentor is Ged who will motivate Vetch he is also the herald along with Anika- vetch’s wife as they motivate vetch to be the hero (by helping Ged and in turn keeping his wife safe). In my fanfic I have role reversed Ged and Vetch as in the Wizard of Earthsea Vetch was the friend, the sidekick and the herald whilst Ged was the hero/shadow.


Reference:

Vogler, C. (2008). The Writer’s Journey: Mythic Structure for Writers. California, United States: Michael Wiese Productions.


No comments:

Post a Comment