Thursday, November 1, 2012

Brief Two: Fan Fiction (PKD)



I sit on my balcony and look down at the tiny cars below. Nicotine and caffeine give the morning a glazed look, and I know that this will probably be the happiest I’ll get today. Yesterday’s paper still sits on the table in front me, my own face handsomely staring back. The headline reads: Frank Costello’s true identity revealed! I read the introductory paragraph again,

When Abe Henderson published his first novel, he was so nervous about how it would be received he opted to publish under the pseudonym we’ve all grown accustomed to. When the novel ‘Dragonaut’ was published to critical acclaimed, Henderson decided to retain the Costello moniker, hoping his later works would capitalise on the early success. The first book in the ‘Holy Mountain’ series, a sprawling ‘psych-fi’ epic, launched Henderson (or rather, Costello) into international celebrity. Since then, with five more novels, two film adaptations and a third in the woodwork, Henderson has become one of this decade’s most prolific writers. The Times uncovers more of his story…

Something sinks inside my stomach. I still feel uncomfortable about this. It was my publicist Sandra’s idea; she thought it was time, right before the release of the last Holy Mountain book, to drop the bombshell and watch the public go crazy for it. I had always liked my anonymity, I was happy that I could walk into a movie theatre and watch a film adapted from my work and not one person would even look at me. Fame is not something I ever wanted. I just wanted to write and be left alone, and now I’ve compromised all of that. 

The gentle chime of the doorbell arouses me from this thought and I go to the door to answer. When I open it, nobody is there. I look left and right down the hall and see no one. It’s then that I notice the newspaper on the floor. Someone has bought me a paper. I don’t get the paper delivered, and I don’t understand. But then I do. The front page headlines read ‘Retraction: Frank Costello True Identity’, ‘Fraudster Impersonates Writer’ with a much less handsome and much smaller picture of me. My skin feels hot, I get lightheaded. I need to sit down.

I drop the paper and find a chair to collapse into. After a minute, I go to retrieve my phone, which is still on silent since I‘d screened two consecutive calls from Sandra much earlier that morning. Many more calls from her had been missed. I try her, but it goes to answer phone.

“Sandra Chinaski, Parkfield Entertainment, leave a message.” The shrill beep punches me in the brain.

“It’s Abe, we need to talk. Come over. Or call me... Please.”
          
      My phone slips out of my hand as I’m putting it on the table. I’m sweaty, and I feel all hot and gross. I begrudgingly walk to the shower, turn it on, remove my shorts and t-shirt and get in. How could this have happened in one day? I don’t get it. Who did this to me, and why? Jesus, I haven’t even read the article yet. Sandra will know the details. Did she leave voice mail? Why didn’t I check? Jesus. I hear the phone ringing and reach for a towel and run to the living room still wet and naked, drying as I run. Sandra’s finally getting back to me. I grab the phone.

                 “Hey, I’m freaking out a little bit here.” I say, as calmly as I can.

                “Is this Abe Henderson?” A man’s voice, deep, unfamiliar. I look at the phone display, it’s an unknown number. Why didn’t I check it? “Is this Abe Henderson?” He asks again, in the exact same tone.

                “Yeah, this is Abe. Who am I speaking to?”

                “This is Frank. We need to talk. I’m coming over. Where are you?”

                “Frank who? I don’t know a Frank.” I tried to think of a Frank I may have met at some point. I come up blank.

                “Abe. It’s Frank.” What the fuck. Who is calling me?

                “Look I don’t have time for this shit” I grab a smoke and head back to the balcony “I don’t know how you got this number, but don’t fucking call me again, or I’ll get the authorities involved.”

                “You’re in that New York penthouse aren’t you? I can hear the traffic outside. That’s New York traffic Abe. I can tell. I’ll see you soon.” He hangs up.

                I don’t know how long I stood there, those words froze me. Jesus. What the fuck? How did he know where I was? Did Sandra put someone up to this? If somebody’s really coming here then I’ll see who they are as soon as I open the door. Maybe all of this is some weird joke. Do I call the police? Do I get out of the country? I go to my room and put on jeans and a shirt. I stare at the mirror a while. Shit I look old.

                When I walk back into the living room I’m stopped dead in my tracks. He’s there, sitting on the couch, smoking a cigarette. Of course it’s him. Frank, the living embodiment of my adopted persona. He even looked exactly like I’d pictured him once, while tripping. A slightly younger, more handsome version of myself. Cooler too. I sat with him.  

                “What…” My head falls into my hands, and all of a sudden I can’t find words. “I, I just don’t know what’s… happening?”

                “I came to tell you that it’s over Abe. You’re not me. I’m me. You’re you. And you are Abraham Henderson. You didn’t create me. I created you. I wrote a short story when I was in college about an aging acid-fried writer who lost his mind and was convinced the ghost of his literary alter ego was haunting his apartment. Does that sound familiar Abe?”

                “That’s ridiculous! That’s my story, and where I took the name of… the character… Frank. Costello…” As I say it a massive weight comes off my shoulders. But not in a good way, leaving me feeling lighter, but also weak and hollow.

                “It’s over Abe. I’m killing you off. I can’t have you floating around anymore. You were a shit idea and now you’re giving me a headache.” My muscles tighten. “Oh shit! Don’t panic, I’m not gonna murder you Abe!” He laughs, smiling ear to ear. “I’ll write your suicide when I get… outta here. It won’t be a spectacle or anything, something subtle, easy, you know?”

                Breathing becomes increasingly difficult. Logic says there’s no way this can be happening. But it is. And I believe it. How could my own creation do this to me? Why am I not laughing in his face?

                “Abe. I’ll give you one chance. Prove to me you’re not the Abe Henderson I created. Become your own character. Get out of here. Be real. Don’t come back to the apartment, or up to the farm. Just get out of here, get out of this life and go find your own. Then I’ll let you live. I’ll give you two days to make a start, get as far away from here as possible.” He stands up, and walks toward the door. “Abe,” I stare back at him, because he commands it. “If you come back here, I’ll be waiting.” He winks, and then is gone.

                Near the elevator on the same level as Abe’s huge apartment, a man and a woman meet.

                “What happened? How did it go?” She stands close and speaks quietly.

                “Pretty well. He seemed, well, terrified. It was very strange.”

                “I know, look… thank you so much for taking the time out to do this. It means a lot to us. I know it’s extremely unconventional psychiatric treatment. Schizophrenia can be so sensitive and you’ve been amazing.”

                “It’s no trouble. In a way, I guess, it’s the ultimate flattery.” He says with a laugh that morphs into a solemn face towards its end. “He seems like a really troubled guy. I hope I’ve helped.”

                “You have, so much, I hope, and yes, he was a huge fan before all of this started.”

                “He must have been. His story is so intricate and detailed. It’s amazing. It must’ve been really hard to find that old story of mine too.”

“Yes, well, his family is of tremendous wealth and resources, thus the apartment. It also doesn’t help that he shares his name with your protagonist. Anyway, I should get in there. That’s pretty essential right now.”

                “Okay.” He almost takes a step away. “Oh, by the way, I saw that doctored newspaper in there, it looked great!”

                Already part way down the hall, she turns back to face him. “Oh, thanks. That was our IT guru. You’re cheque will be in the mail.”

                “Okay! Thanks Sandra.” 



Commentary:

                For my fan fiction I decided to take a slightly different approach to Philip K. Dick’s writing. Rather than creating a piece of fiction set inside the world of High Castle or A Scanner Darkly, or using characters from one of these texts, I decided to write a piece in the spirit of Dick’s writing, employing some of the themes that were present in both the texts we looked at in weeks seven and eight. In the scheme of fan fiction, I feel as though this is a slightly more enjoyable approach to take. Similar to a band, while regular fan fiction might be seen as a covers band of a great artist, my approach is more like that of a tribute band, playing in the style of the artist rather than playing the artist’s songs. 

                The main theme I’ve employed here is that of splintered identities, and the idea that the world is not as it seems. This theme was very much present throughout both High Castle and A Scanner Darkly

                In my fan fiction I employed elements of Vogler’s (1998) Mythic Structure. Act one, according to Vogler, “establishes setting, characters” and “raises the central question of the story.” The first three paragraphs establish the setting and character, while the fourth presents the catalyst; the newspaper dropped at Henderson’s door. This device “precipitates the first turning point” which is, of course, Henderson’s realisation that he has been labelled a fraud. 

                This turning point marks the transition into the second act, where Henderson “encounters numerous obstacles while trying to achieve a goal, reach a destination, or solve a crime.” In act two, Henderson is trying to come to terms with what’s happening. His obstacles include publicist Sandra’s apparent lack of availability, the ominous phone call from someone claiming to be his own fictional alter ego. During this time Henderson becomes increasingly anxious and panicked. The second turning point ultimately arrives in the form of Frank Costello “magically” appearing on his couch. According to Vogler’s theory, this “gives a new sense of urgency and momentum, pushing the story towards its conclusion.”

                Act three consists of our climax; where Costello reveals what is happening to Henderson. Vogler states that in this moment of climax, the “central question is answered.” We see Henderson struggling to understand this answer, and when the reader leaves Henderson in his apartment, the resolution takes place, which “ties up any loose ends.” The resolution sees Costello and Sandra speaking in the hallway, revealing  that the entire thing was an experiment in treating schizophrenia, and in fact, Henderson’s identity crisis existed only in his own head. 

                As an extra, I made reference to High Castle in naming Henderson. Abe Henderson is an extension of Dick’s character Abendson. I can’t say for certain whether the style I’ve employed reflects Dick’s work, but I feel as though I’ve captured the central theme as well as I can in such a short space.


                   Vogler, C. (2007). The Writer’s Journey: Mythic Structure for Writers. California, United States: Michael Wiese Productions.


               
 

No comments:

Post a Comment